Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: bug report

From: Brandon Enright <bmenrigh () ucsd edu>
Date: Sun, 26 Jul 2009 20:49:00 +0000

On Sun, 26 Jul 2009 21:45:09 +0100 or thereabouts "Rob Nicholls"
<robert () everythingeverything co uk> wrote:

Is it listing a different MAC address for every IP that's up, or is
it the same IP no matter what? I think I've seen that behaviour once
before with a wireless access point that appeared to return its own
MAC address for every local IP address (even, as you've seen, when
the host doesn't exist).

You can add --reason to the command line to see why Nmap thinks the
host is up, but if it's an IP on your subnet then it basically has to
be an "arp-response", which means that something on your network is
returning an ARP response to you and claiming to be that IP.

For reference, I couldn't reproduce your issue with Nmap 5.00 on my
copy of Windows XP SP3 (the service pack shouldn't make a difference).

Rob

The behavior you're describing is called proxy-arp.  People generally
turn it on when they don't want to have to be bothered with configuring
the right subnet mask for machines.

Brandon