Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: nmap Mac OS X Firewire Issue

From: David Fifield <david () bamsoftware com>
Date: Mon, 20 Jul 2009 13:05:50 -0600

On Thu, Jul 16, 2009 at 09:00:38AM -0600, David Fifield wrote:
On Wed, Jul 15, 2009 at 10:54:34AM -0400, Julian Berdych wrote:
  The latest version of nmap (4.90RC1) still craps out on any Mac OS X
system that has FireWire ports (see the nmap output below). This is
pretty serious, as all Macs these days have FireWire ports, even the
low-end MacBooks.

Thanks for reporting this. I was not previously aware of it. It had
never happened to me on a Mac with FireWire ports. However, I was able
to reproduce the problem by assigning an IP address to the fw0
interface. I couldn't do this through System Preferences, I had to use
ifconfig.

This doesn't happen to me on a Mac with FireWire ports. Does it only
happen when something is plugged into one of the ports? I tried enabling
the interface through System Preferences but it says "No network capable
FireWire devices are connected."

I committed a fix for this in r14448. Now you will just get a warning

Warning: Unable to get hardware address for interface fw0 -- skipping it.

I traced through the execution and found that libdnet gets pretty close
to finding the hardware address--in fact it finds it but its length
doesn't match what it expects for an Ethernet address. I suppose that
the hardware address for a FireWire interface is the "lladdr" I see in
the output of ifconfig.

fw0: flags=8863<UP,BROADCAST,SMART,RUNNING,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> mtu 2030
        lladdr 00:1f:5b:ff:fe:0d:73:ae
        media: autoselect <full-duplex> status: inactive
        supported media: autoselect <full-duplex>

Nmap's logic for finding Ethernet devices is a little wrong--it assumes
any interface with the BROADCAST flag is Ethernet.

David Fifield