Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: -NP ignored when running as root

From: David Fifield <david () bamsoftware com>
Date: Sat, 18 Jul 2009 22:44:30 -0600

On Sat, Jul 18, 2009 at 09:03:23AM -0400, Mike Calmus wrote:
At 12:26 AM +0000 7/17/09, Brandon Enright wrote:
 >Hi, please try running again as root, this time with the --send-ip
 >option. That will disable the ARP ping. If that works, then there is
 >something wrong with the way ARP ping work against Windows 7 and
 >possibly Solaris 10.
 >
 >http://seclists.org/nmap-dev/2009/q1/0176.html
 >
 >That was caused by Solaris sending back ARP replies to the broadcast
 >Ethernet address. If --send-ip works for you, please let us know. If
 >you could get a packet capture of the ARP traffic, that would be very
 >helpful.
 >
 >Please let us know, because this is something that can be fixed with
 >a little more information.
 >
 >David Fifield

 Using the --send-ip option does seem to work. I won't be able to get
 a packet capture until later, though. I will forward that along as
 soon as I can.

Hey Mike, are you by any chance connecting to a wireless AP with client
isolation turned on?  In addition to a packet capture, the output of
"arp -a" after a scan could be moderately useful.

I do have a wireless AP, but client isolation isn't turned on AFAIK.
When I run a packet capture in Wireshark, I see two ARP messages like
the following sent from my machine:

ff:ff:ff:ff:ff:ff
00:1e:52:83:c6:a6
0x0806
0x0001
0x0800
0x06
0x04
00:01
00:1e:52:83:c6:a6
192.168.1.194
ff:ff:ff:ff:ff:ff
192.168.1.190

I am more interested in seeing the ARP replies from the Windows host.
The issue with Solaris 10 is that the replies are broadcast, not sent
back to the MAC address of the requesting machine.

http://seclists.org/nmap-dev/2009/q1/0176.html

Can you send me the .pcap file? Also, please capture ARP packets with a
--send-ip scan and send that file too.

Another possibility is that Nmap thinks that the host is directly
connected because of its address and the interface netmask, but maybe it
is not directly connected going through VMware.

David Fifield