Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: configure is not checking for g++ in Debian Lenny

From: Mostaço-Guidolin, Luiz C. B. <lcguid () gmail com>
Date: Thu, 2 Jul 2009 10:25:21 -0300

Oh ok, I think it is minor indeed . Sorry I coundn't help more!

Cheers

--
Luiz C. B. Mostaço-Guidolin
cel: +55 16 9119-9759

2009/6/29 David Fifield <david () bamsoftware com>

On Sat, Jun 20, 2009 at 12:16:09PM -0300, Mostaço-Guidolin, Luiz C. B.
wrote:
I tried to compile nmap
nmap-4.85BETA10.tar.bz2<http://nmap.org/dist/nmap-4.85BETA10.tar.bz2>in
my Debian Lenny (without g++ installed but with gcc installed) and the
./configure script reports no error. So, obviously when I tried to
compile
it with make it returns error. Then, after the installation o g++ it
compiles ok.

Thanks for the report. I looked into this. It turns out that the
configure script is in fact looking for a C++ compiler, but it does so
with the AC_PROG_CXX macro, which uses "g++" for a default value if none
was found.

http://www.gnu.org/software/hello/manual/autoconf/C_002b_002b-Compiler.html

A web search shows that this has been a minor irritation for some other
projects. It appears that the behavior of AC_PROG_CXX may change in the
future to allow detection of a missing compiler, however from what I
could tell it's not changed in the Autoconf git tree.

http://osdir.com/ml/bug-autoconf-gnu/2009-06/msg00006.html

I think this is a minor enough problem that we can just wait until
Autoconf makes it easy to fix.

David Fifield