Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: [NSE] Lua implementation merged into Nmap trunk

From: David Fifield <david () bamsoftware com>
Date: Sun, 5 Apr 2009 15:54:48 -0600

On Sun, Apr 05, 2009 at 02:11:57AM -0600, Patrick Donnelly wrote:
As noted above, these functional changes do not directly affect script
execution but do affect how NSE operates. Users can expect to see NSE
perform with less baffling errors and with more meaningful debug
output.

This is my primary hope for the new code. We had been running into
memory corruption bugs in NSE that were very hard to reproduce. I think
Patrick knows what he's doing with keeping references and my hope is
that these problems will be solved.

also inspect how the engine actually runs their code. Further, because
nse_main.lua is recompiled across Nmap invocations, a user can
actually change how NSE operates without recompiling Nmap. For
example, one could add more debug output when developing scripts among
other endless possibilities.

Patrick did an excellent job keeping the changes for this merge
localized and relevant--you can see exactly what's different with
        svn diff -c 12887
Notable is the complete deletion of nse_init.cc. The main action is now
in nse_main.lua. nse_main.cc is now mainly glue code so that Lua can
access some of Nmap's functions.

David Fifield