Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: [nmap-svn] r13494 - zenmap/radialnet/gui

From: David Fifield <david () bamsoftware com>
Date: Wed, 3 Jun 2009 23:34:25 -0600

On Wed, Jun 03, 2009 at 05:52:39PM -0700, Fyodor wrote:
On Wed, Jun 03, 2009 at 12:24:57PM -0700, commit-mailer () insecure org wrote:

Log:
Some changes to the topology saving patch:

Thanks, these work well in my testing.  But regarding this one:

* Don't automatically add a file name extension to the user's name.

I realize that it was broken before this change because it would add
the extension even if there already was one.  But maybe we should
still add the extension when none at all is specified?  Many Windows
programs, including Microsoft Word, do this.  It seems more likely
that the user expects an extension to be added than that the want to
create a PDF, PNG, PS or SVG file without any extension.

If you don't want to add the extension by default, perhaps we could
just give a message such as "add .png extension to filename?" when
someone tries to save w/o extension.

How about this patch? It automatically updates the file name in the
dialog when you change the type. So if it is "a.png" and you change the
selection to PDF, it changes to "a.pdf". If you really want a different
extension or no extension after that, you can edit the file name after
selecting the type and no automatic changes will be made unless you
change the type again.

Or maybe there's a standard for how these types of save dialogs are
supposed to work? I like in the GIMP how the default option is "by
extension."

Also, perhaps the default file type should be SVG rather than PNG?

SVG is more appropriate for the type of graphic. Windows XP doesn't have
an SVG viewer built in. PNG and PDF are viewable anywhere. PNG is easy
to put on a web page, and PDF has the advantage of easy printing. What
are your reasons for thinking about SVG over PNG?

David Fifield