Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: A Problem with Nmap - All Ports are classified as open no matter what IP address I scan

From: Patrick Donnelly <batrick () batbytes com>
Date: Wed, 3 Jun 2009 04:15:21 -0600

On Wed, Jun 3, 2009 at 3:52 AM, Professor 0110 <professor0110 () gmail com> wrote:

Thanks for the reply! :)
If that is true, is this behavior generally illegal?

No one is obligated to abide the various specifications of the Internet.

What should I say to my ISP?

How should I know?

Any further help will be appreciated!
Thanks,
Professor 0110

So, what you're saying is that my ISP is acting as a Firewall.

I said it _might be_ managing connections similar to a firewall. The
intent is very different. A firewall manages connections to prevent
illicit packets from being received. What they are trying to do is
reduce traffic on a very costly link in the network.

--
-Patrick Donnelly

"Let all men know thee, but no man know thee thoroughly: Men freely
ford that see the shallows."

- Benjamin Franklin