Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: Save Topology

From: Kris Katterjohn <katterjohn () gmail com>
Date: Wed, 03 Jun 2009 03:02:29 -0500

David Fifield wrote:
On Tue, Jun 02, 2009 at 08:02:31PM -0500, Kris Katterjohn wrote:
I think saving the currently viewable region is the most obvious and best way
to go.  I would be highly surprised if it *didn't* do this.  Since the ability
is there to manipulate the graph (rearrange, zoom, etc), why would the save
feature only save some pre-ordained, whole view of the graph?

I was surprised when it saved only the visible part of the graph. Most
applications don't work that way, though it makes sense here. When you
print a web page you don't get only the part visible in the browser
window.

Hmm.. this is indeed an example which I hadn't considered!  However, I don't
think zooming in and out, rearranging or otherwise manipulating the view of a
graph is equivalent to, say, scrolling up and down a web page.  I think it is
more akin to something like a map.

I don't have Google Earth installed on this computer so I can't try it right
now, but I think this is a better example.  I would never expect Google Earth
to default to saving or printing a view of the whole planet after I've been
zooming into my desired location.

I'm not trying to argue with you by any means :) I'm just trying to show that
other programs have this same behavior and that other people, like me, will
probably expect this behavior to start with.  However I could be really wrong
here since both of you had different assumptions on this than I had :)

Also, instead of having an option to save the whole thing, can't you just
bring the whole graph into the window like (IIRC) it does to start with?

Yes, there should be a "show all" button that automatically zooms out to
show the whole graph. That or the save interface could have "current
view"/"whole graph" radio buttons.

I would suggest the former as users may have differing opinions on smaller
stuff like how much extra space around the graph, if any, should be saved.
This is another reason why I wouldn't expect it to do the whole graph by default.

David Fifield

Thanks,
Kris Katterjohn