Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: Nmap 4.85BETA7 Released!

From: henry.nymann () valeosylvania com
Date: Thu, 2 Apr 2009 09:28:43 -0400

nmap-dev-bounces () insecure org wrote on 04/01/2009 11:42:51 PM (trimmed):

I'm pleased to announce the release of Nmap 4.85BETA7.  Hopefully it
will be the last in this series of daily releases!  But as with the
last two releases, we wanted to get some Conficker detection
improvements out to the people.  And as with those other releases, we
snuck in some other goodies as well :).  You can find the goods here:

http://nmap.org/download.html

And here are the changes:

Nmap 4.85BETA7 [2009-04-1]

o Improvements to the Conficker detection script (smb-check-vulns):
  o Treat any NetPathCanonicalize()return code of 0x57 as indicative
    of a vulnerable machine. We (and all the other scanners) used to
    require the 0x57 return code as well as a canonicalized path
    string including 0x5c450000.  Tenable confirmed an infected
    system which returned a 0x00000000 path, so we now treat any
    return code of 0x57 as indicative of an infection. [Ron]
  o Add workaround for crash in older versions of OpenSSL which would
    occur when we received a blank authentication challenge string
    from the server.  The error looked like: evp_enc.c(282): OpenSSL
    internal error, assertion failed: inl > 0". [Ron]
  o Add helpful text for the two most common errors seen in the
    Conficker check in smb-check-vulns.nse.  So instead of saying
    things like "Error: NT_STATUS_ACCESS_DENIED", output is like:
    |  Conficker: Likely CLEAN; access was denied.
    |  |  If you have a login, try using
--script-args=smbuser=xxx,smbpass=yyy
    |  |  (replace xxx and yyy with your username and password). Also try
    |  |_ smbdomain=zzz if you know the domain. (Error
NT_STATUS_ACCESS_DENIED)
    The other improved message is for
    NT_STATUS_OBJECT_NAME_NOT_FOUND. [David]

Enjoy!
-Fyodor

Good morning,

I downloaded and tried the new beta 7 version this morning.  Specifically,
I'm running it on a Windows 2003 SP2 server, and I uninstalled beta 6
first.  However, I am not getting the new messages that this e-mail
references, so does that mean something did not update correctly on my
server?  Doing a "Help | About" confirms the beta 7 version.

Henry Nymann
This e-mail message is intended only for the use of the intended recipient(s).
The information contained therein may be confidential or privileged, and its disclosure or reproduction is strictly
prohibited.
If you are not the intended recipient, please return it immediately to its sender at the above address and destroy it.