Nmap Development mailing list archives

Mailing list performance fixed (I hope)

From: Fyodor <fyodor () insecure org>
Date: Thu, 14 May 2009 16:29:37 -0700

Hi All!  I spent many hours over the last few days trying to to
improve Mailman performance, which was severely bogged down.  Messages
requiring moderation (e.g. those from non-members) were taking 5+
hours to get through.  Subscription attempts on the web site were
failing (timeout).  I tried a bunch of "solutions", such as cleaning
up the Mailman queue file and data directories, removing held/bounce
messages, restarting the whole server, etc.  But I think the problem
was that spammers were sending many thousands of messages per day to
mailman-related addresses (e.g. nmap-hackers@, nmap-hackers-woner@,
nmap-hackers-subscribe@, nmap-dev@, mailman@, etc.).  For lists with
tens of thousands of members, each such mail can take Mailman a long
time to process just to check things such as whether the sender is an
actual list member.  Meanwhile, the flood of spam kept the list locked
from other mailman-related processes such as moderation notices and
subscription requests.

I reconfigured the mail server (Postfix) so that it rejects RCPT to
mailman-related addresses if the client is on the Spamhouse Exploits
Block List (http://www.spamhaus.org/xbl/index.lasso) or SBL
(http://www.spamhaus.org/sbl/index.lasso).  In the last 12 hours, that
has blocked 31,840 messages.  Some of those would have been blocked by
other mechanisms before, but many would have gone through and clogged
mailman.

Anyway, let me know if you find anything broken WRT the mailing lists,
mail server, web sites, SVN, etc.

Cheers,
-F