Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: non existent script called with --script=all

From: Kris Katterjohn <katterjohn () gmail com>
Date: Mon, 27 Apr 2009 21:30:01 -0500

Fyodor wrote:
On Mon, Apr 27, 2009 at 05:18:02PM -0500, Kris Katterjohn wrote:
When I suggested this very same idea over a year ago (when it was shot down by
you and Brandon), you said that Diman had already tested with many scripts:

http://seclists.org/nmap-dev/2008/q1/0514.html

(and http://seclists.org/nmap-dev/2008/q1/0513.html is Brandon's detailed reply)

Hi Kris.  Nice to hear from you!

Hey Fyodor, I'm glad I'm starting to participate on-list again!  I've just
been going through many, many personal things but hopefully I can become an
active dev again sometime soon.  I really wish things worked out so that I
could have applied to the GSoC this time around.

BTW I smiled at the commit log you wrote when deleting the old nmap directory
in my exp branch :)

 I suppose that if we end up removing
script.db after all, you can give us a big "I told you so" :).

Hahaha, maybe! :)  Especially after my then-rejected banner.nse idea too :-P

Diman did do some testing with 10,000+ scripts (well, basically copies
of the same simple script), but that was years ago.  NSE has changed
dramatically since then, so I'd like to see newer benchmarks with
large numbers of scripts before I'd feel comfortable removing
script.db.  We can't really decide whether the logistical hassle is
worth the performance gain until we actually have measurements of the
(presumed) performance gain.  But if the cost of generating the
information at runtime with 1,000+ scripts is immaterial, I'd favor
removing script.db.  We could always revive the system if we ever
exceed that number of scripts and need it again.

This is of course a good point.  Patrick and others seem to have done some
great work on NSE in recent time.  I must say I am eager to hear of the
results of these tests and the decision on whether or not to remove script.db!

Cheers,
-F

Thanks,
Kris Katterjohn