Nmap Development mailing list archives

justniffer a tcp stream sniffer

From: Oreste Notelli <oreste.notelli () gmail com>
Date: Thu, 23 Apr 2009 10:38:33 +0200

Hi all,
I wrote a tcp packet sniffer to facilitate network debugging: justniffer
  It captures reassembles and reorders TCP packets, performs IP packet
defragmentation and displays the tcp flow and trace timings. I use it for
logging network traffic in a 'standard' (web server like) or in a customized
way. It can log http response time, usefull for tracking network services
performances (e.g. web server, application server, etc.) .

*The main differences with other sniffers are:*
- it captures tcp/ip traffic and handle all tcp/ip stuff (reordering,
retrasmissions, defragmentation). The tcp stream adjustment is very reliabe
since is performed using linux kernel code included in a slightly modified
version of the nids library.

- it reports timing informations. So it can be usefull for tracking network
system performances: for example http response time, connection time, etc.

- it can generate logs in a highly customizable way. For example can mimic
the apache access_log

i think it could be useful for some one else. you can find it at:

http://justniffer.sourceforge.net/

Bye,
Oreste