Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: GSoC Feedback

From: David Fifield <david () bamsoftware com>
Date: Fri, 27 Mar 2009 09:45:05 -0600

On Fri, Mar 27, 2009 at 05:38:38PM +0200, ithilgore wrote:
Also, as Nmap sends 16 probes for each IP address during OS
detection, I was wondering if we could do some work specifically in
reducing the number of probes sent by Nmap.

 Reducing the number of probes would probably lead to less accurate
 results. However, a discussion on removing the the IE.DLI probe had
 started here:
 http://seclists.org/nmap-dev/2009/q1/0679.html

That change wouldn't reduce the number of probes sent. It would only
remove one of the response tests from fingerprints. We would still send
the two IE probes for all the other IE.* tests.

David Fifield