Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: About Nmap

From: David Fifield <david () bamsoftware com>
Date: Thu, 26 Mar 2009 14:02:14 -0600

On Thu, Mar 26, 2009 at 03:12:55PM +0100, Dozzyjean Dozie wrote:
HELLO SIR, I ALWAYS SEE THIS ERROR WHEN SCANNING WITH WINDOWS, BUT IN
MY UBUNTU LINUX VERSION EVERYTHING ALWAYS GO WELL

C:\Users\Dozzyjean>nmap -sP T4 -iR 250

Starting Nmap 4.76 ( http://nmap.org ) at 2009-03-26 15:10 W. Central Africa Standard Time
socket troubles in UltraScanInfo::Init: An attempt was made to access a socket in a way forbidden by its access
permissions.  (10013)

I WILL BE INTERESTED TO KNOW WHAT IS THE PROBLEM AND THE SOLUSION OF IT.
THANKS FOR YOUR HELP.

The error is occurring when Nmap tries to open a raw socket, which it
shouldn't do on Windows. Normally Nmap uses raw Ethernet sends because
Windows doesn't support raw sockets. Try using the --send-eth option.

What version of Windows is this? What kind of network device do you use?
Is it Ethernet or something else?

David Fifield