Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: GSOC preparation

From: Brandon Enright <bmenrigh () ucsd edu>
Date: Wed, 25 Mar 2009 08:36:01 +0000

On Wed, 25 Mar 2009 13:39:57 +0530 or thereabouts VIGNESH PRABHU
<stove311987 () gmail com> wrote:

Hi everybody,

My name is Vignesh Prabhu. I am planning to apply for Nmap Security
Scanner under Google Summer Of Code-2009. However i feel that i
should first work on nmap security scanner and try to fix some bugs
in it by which i will get familiar with the coding format in it and
then apply for GSOC. Can anybody please guide me for this. I have
earlier worked on fixing bugs in Evolution but the difference is they
had a seperate bugzilla where in i could find different categories of
bugs in evolution listed by their users and developers. But in Nmap,
i came to know that bugs are reported in this mailing list and
developers fix it. I am willing to work on any small enhancements
also.

Regards,

Vignesh Prabhu

Hi Vignesh,

The project TODO list is available in docs/TODO if you check out from
the SVN tree.

Something like "svn co --username guest svn://svn.insecure.org/nmap"
with a blank password should work.

I can't think of any serious outstanding bugs (non-NSE; they is being
worked on) off the top of my head.  There are some minor issues and
annoyances here and there but in general nothing really show-stopping.

<selfish>
My biggest TODO item interest is the note about UDP scans taking up a
ton of memory.  I suspect it isn't just UDP scans but that it shows up
more easily with UDP scans because it is much more common to do huge
hostgroups with UDP.  On a x86_64 machine a 64k port (-p-) scan with a
hostgroup above about 500 uses many gigabytes of memory.  I'm sure it's
pretty far down on Fyodor and David's list of grievances but I'd love
to see work done on measuring what share of the memory each major
internal data structure has.  With an understanding of where the memory
is going work can be done on reasonable changes to reduce any memory
waste they may be.
</selfish>

Brandon