Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: bug with OS X

From: Tom Sellers <nmap () fadedcode net>
Date: Tue, 17 Mar 2009 17:44:46 -0500

Brandon Enright wrote:

I'm running as admin on my OS X box, but not root. Do I have to be running as root on my Mac?

Well I don't know jack about OS X but I'm pretty sure "admin" is still
a non-root user.  You probably want to do "sudo nmap ...." and then
enter your user's password to get Nmap to run as root.

Unless I am mistaken or some other settings have been implemented, by default
you have to use sudo to issue Terminal commands with root privileges, even if
your account is an administrators.  The same thing occurs during software updates.

Tom