Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: many scripts with output cause abort

From: Patrick Donnelly <batrick () batbytes com>
Date: Mon, 16 Mar 2009 23:50:30 -0600

On Mon, Mar 16, 2009 at 6:15 PM, Brandon Enright <bmenrigh () ucsd edu> wrote:
I've noticed that with a large --min-parallelism and a large
- --min-hostgroup NSE seems to overload Nsock and causes Nmap to corrupt
mammary.  David and I looked at it a little but never really pursued it
as a bug.

min-hostgroup shouldn't affect the nsock exclusion mechanism which
ensures only --max-parallelism OR 10 threads have open sockets. The
problem is threads may then open as many sockets as they want. This
was a design decision I made last summer due to deadlocks occurring
when threads would compete for the maximum 10 sockets but some needed
2. It seemed reasonable since all scripts up to that point had at most
2 sockets open at any time. Of course, this may not actually be the
problem you are experiencing? Is nsock allocating too many open
sockets?

--
-Patrick Donnelly

"One of the lessons of history is that nothing is often a good thing
to do and always a clever thing to say."

-Will Durant