Nmap Development mailing list archives

nmap 4.76 on Solaris 10 with openssl

From: Kenneth Ng <kenneth.d.ng () gmail com>
Date: Mon, 16 Mar 2009 21:18:56 -0400

Has anyone gotten Nmap to work with Solaris 10?  I'm trying Nmap 4.76,
on Solaris 10, sparc, os build 05/08.  I'm using openssl 0.9.8j.  I
compiled with openssl using gcc 3.4.6.  If I run as root, all is fine
because when I log in I set LD_LIBRARY_PATH to add /usr/local/ssl/lib
to include the openssl libraries.  If I run not as root, it give the
warning that its doing tcp queries instead of ICMP.  If I change nmap
to SetUID 4755, it says it can't load the ssl libraries.  I suspect
this is because by default the LD_LIBRARY_PATH gets reset.  Then I
reset the SetUID bit, and wrote a bash script that was SetUID.  The
bash script set LD_LIBRARY_PATH and then called nmap.  So a normal
user calls "nmapx", which is SETUID, sets LD_LIBRARY_PATH, and then
calls the real nmap.  It PARTLY works.

If I do "nmapx -sP -T Normal ..", it works fine.  If I do "nmapx -sP
-PE ..." it says that I am not root and its using TCP scan instead.
Any suggestions?