Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: Select OS detection probes

From: David Fifield <david () bamsoftware com>
Date: Mon, 16 Mar 2009 12:25:14 -0600

On Mon, Mar 16, 2009 at 02:07:22PM -0400, Thomas Tavaris J (Tavaris) wrote:
I was wondering if its possible (without modifying the source code) to
configure Nmap to perform only selective fingerprinting tests against a
target host? For example could I only send a U1 and IE probes to a host
with command line options? I have been evaluating the quality of Nmap
probes found ver 4.85 BETA and would like to incorporate selective
probing with my results. Thanks.

There are no command line options to control that. For this particular
case you can get pretty close with "nmap -sU -O -d". That will omit the
open-port TCP tests, but there will still be closed-port TCP results
because Nmap tries a port at random if it can't find a closed one. It
should work against a mostly filtered host though.

David Fifield