Nmap Development mailing list archives

RE: Other useless OS detection tests?

From: "Thomas Tavaris J (Tavaris)" <tjthomas () LGSInnovations com>
Date: Fri, 13 Mar 2009 09:10:11 -0400

My colleague and I wrote a paper for WOOT 07 (Part of USENIX 07)
evaluating the quality of tests found in Nmap. We developed a
method based on the mathematical notion of information gain to evaluate
the quality of fingerprinting tests and their
associated probes. In the paper we provided an analysis that includes
ranking the tests overall, ranking the tests within
families of operating systems, evaluating the variability of similar
tests across differing probes, and discussing the
implications of these analyses on fingerprinting in practice.

L. Greenwald and T. Thomas, "Toward Undetected Operating System
Fingerprinting," Proceedings of the
First USENIX Workshop on Offensive Technologies (WOOT '07), Boston, MA,
August 6, 2007.

Granted this was on an earlier version of Nmap so I reran our code
recently on the signature database of Nmap 4.76 and the results were
similar. (have not published these yet)

Best Regards,
---
Tavaris Thomas, Ph.D.