Nmap Development mailing list archives

Feedback on Ncat documentation

From: stripes <stripes () tigerlair com>
Date: Wed, 25 Feb 2009 18:58:48 -0500

Hi everyone,

I'll go ahead and update the documentation if this is ok. I don't have it downloaded via CVS but I can download the
HTML and do an unified diff for a patch if that's acceptable. I'll test the examples next.

Comments:
http://nmap.org/ncat/guide/index.html

First paragraph:
Nothing on the history of Netcat? Wasn't it originally written in 1991 by Matt (can't remember his last name). What
about the GNU Netcat project? How is this different? You mention other versions of Netcat, but it would be fair to give
them a little more history given the popularity of it.

What about UDP and TCP? Can it do both? ICMP? It says there's SSL support. How is this different than cryptcat?

http://nmap.org/ncat/guide/ncat-usage.html

Good, but there are other servers to emulate in addition to a web server?

http://nmap.org/ncat/guide/ncat-advanced.html

The SSL example is good, but it helps to show other ports besides the standard web ports.

http://nmap.org/ncat/guide/ncat-output.html
http://nmap.org/ncat/guide/ncat-access.html

I like these, but I'd like to flesh it out more if that's okay with you.

For the access, this is similiar to TCP wrapper functionality, right?

http://nmap.org/ncat/guide/ncat-proxy.html

Heh, cool. I like this :)

http://nmap.org/ncat/guide/ncat-other-options.html

With the telnet option, can you also tell netcat to act as a telnet server, or just in client mode only?

I like the source routing.

http://nmap.org/ncat/guide/ncat-file-transfer.html
http://nmap.org/ncat/guide/ncat-chat.html

Very nice, but I'll probably have more feedback after testing.

http://nmap.org/ncat/guide/ncat-tricks.html

I would move the version detection to its own section.

What about a shell shoveling example? That's always fun :)

http://nmap.org/ncat/guide/ncat-simple-services.html

Nice, nothing I can think of needs to be chagned.

-Anne
--
Gomez: I have seen the unholy     (\`--/') _ _______ .-r-.
maggots which feast in the dark    >.~.\ `` ` `,`,`. ,'_'~`.