Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: More Linux routing problems

From: David Fifield <david () bamsoftware com>
Date: Mon, 23 Feb 2009 12:05:56 -0700

On Mon, Feb 23, 2009 at 10:43:37AM -0800, PGNet wrote:
On Mon, Feb 23, 2009 at 10:14 AM, David Fifield <david () bamsoftware com> wrote:
This case looks to be caused by some misconfiguration. See near the
bottom where there is
       /proc/net/route: Permission denied
       INET (IPv4) not configured in this system.

Were these commands run as root?

no.  in this case, this is a shared host (and i recognize that _may_
be a deal-breaker ...). i'm escalated only to "my" user in "my" space
-- i have no real 'root' access.

Thanks for the report. You are quite correct. The problem is caused by a
lack of root privileges.

The --privileged option will fail unless you are root.

admittedly, rying either of the "other" options, namely
'--unprivileged' or (nothing), complains abt that:

  map -d9 -vvvvvvvv -PN -p42000-42100 --send-eth --unprivileged -sU
my.domain.com
    You requested a scan type which requires root privileges.
QUITTING!

  nmap -d9 -vvvvvvvv -PN -p42000-42100 --send-eth -sU my.domain.com
    You requested a scan type which requires root privileges.
QUITTING!

The --privileged option is for when Nmap thinks you don't have raw
packet sending privileges but you do. It doesn't help if you don't have
the privileges in the first place.

_is_ it at all possible to do "this" sort of nmap scan from a shared host?

Unprivileged users are restricted in the types of scans they can do. UDP
is one of the root-only scans. Even if you can read /proc/net/route as
an unprivileged user, the OS won't let you create the raw sockets that
you need.

David Fifield