Nmap Development mailing list archives

python install question

From: Aaron Leininger <rilian4 () hotmail com>
Date: Wed, 18 Feb 2009 15:53:23 -0800

I have been upgrading some of my boxen to 4.85beta3. I have one test box that I use that has no GUI installed. I used
the ./configure --without-zenmap option on this box to speed up the compile since I had no use for zenmap in this case.
I know zenmap uses python but I was surprised to find that the regular install of nmap from source now requires python
and python-dev to be installed in order to successfully complete. The ndiff script at the end of the 'make install'
command is where the failure was.

I got:
   invalid Python installation: unable to open /usr/include/python2.5/pyconfig.h

After installing python2.5-dev, ndiff was successfully installed and thus the 'make install' threw no errors.

I guess it would have been nice to have the ndiff part of 'make install' throw a cleaner error. My python installation
was perfectly valid, just missing the dev package. After looking at what setup.py is doing in the ndiff sub-folder, am
I right in thinking that it is python itself that is throwing this error? Will that make it harder to alter how it
appears?

Unfortunately, I forgot to preserve the entire output from 'make install' so that is making it harder to trace back.
Aaron