Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: Nmap-4.85b1: --resume parameter unrecognized

From: David Fifield <david () bamsoftware com>
Date: Mon, 16 Feb 2009 12:22:08 -0700

On Thu, Jan 29, 2009 at 01:52:40PM -0800, GrnMtnTX wrote:
Using zenmap I tried to resume a scan (that I halted yesterday using the
"Cancel Scan" button), but the command line kept corrupting itself (changing
it to incomplete lines and even repeating arguments numerous time).  I then
tried to run it directly from command line using nmap and it did would not
continue, but instead responded with a message that --resume is an
unrecognized command.  The syntax used was nmap --resume
ScanResults28Jan2009.nmap and nmap --resume ScanResults28Jan2009.gnmap

When you use --resume, it and the log file name must be the only
arguments. That's because it is handled specially by the option parser.
Maybe you had some extra options in your commands, like

nmap -v --resume ScanResults28Jan2009.nmap
nmap --resume ScanResults28Jan2009.gnmap -oG ScanResults28Jan2009.gnmap

Zenmap doesn't support resuming scans, though I guess it could be made
to do so if you provide a log file. What you saw with the command line
repeating arguments is probably Zenmap being conservative with the
handling of an unknown option. It doesn't know if that option takes an
argument or not so it retains following command-line arguments until
it's sure no more can be touched by the unknown option. There's an
explanation at top of zenmapGUI/NmapOptions.py.

David Fifield