Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: [NSE] pwdump script

From: David Fifield <david () bamsoftware com>
Date: Wed, 11 Feb 2009 17:14:18 -0700

On Wed, Feb 11, 2009 at 06:05:46PM -0600, Ron wrote:
David Fifield wrote:
I changed the setting from guest to classic and ran again.

$ ./nmap --datadir=. -PN -d2 -p139,445 --script=smb-pwdump --script-args=smbuser=jrandom,smbpass=jrandom
192.168.0.190
Host script results:
|_ smb-pwdump: ERROR: Couldn't create the service on the remote machine: NT_STATUS_UNKNOWN (0x000006e4)
(svcctl.openscmanagerw)

I haven't been able to figure out how to access the service control
service on Windows XP. I've spent a lot of time on that issue, and
unfortunately I haven't been able to resolve it. I even posted to the
Metasploit mailing list, since they do it, but it didn't help.

Currently, it'll work against Windows 2000 or 2003.

Sorry, you totally mentioned that but somehow I missed it.

You said: "...finding a tool that can remotely dump hashes from Linux
isn't easy (Metasploit is one way, but it's even more invasive than
this)." If this has a chance to become the standard Unix-based hash
grabber then it's worth pursuing. I agree there's a big difference
between logging in with a user name you know and exploiting some
vulnerability to get the hashes.

David Fifield