Nmap Development mailing list archives

New public Nmap TODO list

From: Fyodor <fyodor () insecure org>
Date: Sat, 24 Jan 2009 20:08:21 -0800

Hi all.  For many years, the Nmap TODO list has been in a private
developer-only section of the Nmap SVN.  This was partly because I
didn't want to read through 10,000+ lines (97% of that was in the
"done" section) to remove any private information (email addresses,
hostsnames, etc.) which people might have sent in reports, and partly
because I wasn't sure that a TODO text file was the right approach
(alternatives could be a wiki, bug tracker, emacs todo-mode formatted
file, etc.)

I decided to resolve the first issue by removing 11,500 lines (the
"done" portion), which is far better to read in the Nmap CHANGELOG
anyway.  Then I only had to review the remaining 350 or so lines.  It
is a sign of a successful TODO list when 97% of it is in the completed
section :).

As for the second issue, well, publishing the TODO list doesn't
prevent moving to any other methods in the future.

The TODO list is now in /nmap/docs/TODO .  Keep in mind that appearing
in the list doesn't ensure that something will be done.  Some are just
ideas to ponder, and others may never happen because they don't catch
the interest of a volunteer motivated to complete them.  In general,
the items most likely to be completed are the ones closest to the top.
And this is biased towards my ideas and things I'm tracking.  The
great thing about open source is that volunteers can always work on
what interests them the most.  For example, MSRPC and SCTP aren't on
the list, but I'm excited about those prospects and that certainly
didn't stop Ron and Daniel from taking the initiative.  So don't treat
this list as comprehensive.

Cheers,
-F