Nmap Development mailing list archives

Trace and reality differs

From: "Hans Nilsson" <hasse_gg () ftml net>
Date: Thu, 15 Jan 2009 20:49:40 -1100

Hello, I was just trying a scan as follows:
nmap --send-ip -oA log -T2 -sS -n -P0 --randomize-hosts -p 139
231.211.XXX.122-124 --max-retries 0 -vvvvv --packet-trace

(on a local network with the latest stable version)
Now the output nmap gives me claims that it sends three syn packets to
port 139 but according to my packet sniffing nmap still does it's
arp-ping and only scans the host that replies to it. The reason I used
--send-ip is because I don't want to use the ARP-ping, that option used
to work like that. And anyways the claimed packet trace I'm getting from
nmap doesn't fit with reality.

So is it just my problem/error or something real?
--
  Hans Nilsson
  hasse_gg () ftml net

--