Nmap Development mailing list archives

-6 and mass_dns and dns.lua

From: jah <jah () zadkiel plus com>
Date: Sun, 05 Oct 2008 22:24:36 +0100

Hi folks,

I've been trying to work out why l_get_dns_servers in nse_nmaplib.cc
doesn't return any dns servers when -6 scanning.  I see in NmapOps.cc
if (af() != AF_INET) mass_dns = false;

and that mass_dns seems to be geared to IPv4 targets.  IPv6 targets will
instead be handled by the system resolver.

This upshot of this, as far as NSE is concerned, is that any script
using dns.lua will be required to pass it a dns server when -6 scanning.

To me, it looks a big job (enormous!) to get mass_dns working for IPv6
targets, but is there any other reason why it doesn't currently?

Regards,

jah