Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: Nping development

From: David Fifield <david () bamsoftware com>
Date: Wed, 31 Dec 2008 17:20:40 -0700

On Tue, Dec 30, 2008 at 10:57:14AM +0100, Henri Doreau wrote:
Thanks for your reply. I've opened a project on sourceforge under the
name of APing2. There is nothing really interesting yet but I hope
that it will reach the required quality level soon.
I would have opinions about some options. hping2 has "modes" you can
call typing -1, -2...
But nmap and ncat use -6 to enable ipv6, that might be confusing. What
would you prefer : give priority to nmap like options (and rename the
original hping2 modes) or hping2 ones (and rename the ipv6 flag), in
this case I mean.

I didn't have the idea for Nping so I can't answer specific questions
about requirements. I see at http://nmap.org/SoC/Ncat.html that "Some
flags may use the Nmap-style option name rather than hping-style."
You'll have to wait to see what others have to say on this one.

David Fifield