Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: [BUG?} Mac OS X: iflist error when run as non-root

From: David Fifield <david () bamsoftware com>
Date: Sat, 6 Dec 2008 10:55:22 -0700

On Sat, Dec 06, 2008 at 09:16:06AM -0600, Tom Sellers wrote:
I am experiencing an unexpected behavior when using nmap
to dump an interface list on Mac OS X 10.4.11.  It appears
that nmap will not list the information properly if the
command is not run via sudo or as root.  A search of the
list archives shows that Matt Selsky brought this up in
Nov of 2007 on a SVN version of 4.23
(http://seclists.org/nmap-dev/2007/q4/0359.html).

Based on the information I have I am not sure if this
behavior is a bug nmap or just normal functionality of
OS X.

I think this has to do with the mode of the /dev/bpf* devices. When I
installed Wireshark I also installed the ChmodBPF script that gives
users in the admin group read and write permission to /dev/bpf*.

http://anonsvn.wireshark.org/viewvc/trunk/packaging/macosx/ChmodBPF/ChmodBPF?view=markup

With I run "nmap --iflist" as a non-root user in the admin group, I get
no error messages. When I run it as a user not in the admin group, I get
the same problem you described: "Warning: Unable to open interface en1
-- skipping it.". If I "sudo chmod g-rw /dev/bpf*" then I get the errors
with the admin user as well.

So I think this is a peculiarity of Mac OS X.

David Fifield