Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: Port Filtered

From: Ron <ron () skullsecurity net>
Date: Tue, 18 Nov 2008 18:11:44 -0600

Michael Condon wrote:
What are some recommended alternate scans for more reliable Service/OS detection if Nmap reports all of the ports as
/open/filtered?

Service detection works equally well on ports that are open or
open|filtered. For OS detection, unless you use service-based os
detection (like smb-os-discovery.nse), all tools will be limited if
there aren't any closed (or open) ports to work with. I find Nmap's OS
identification to still work well with non-ideal scenarios, and I tend
to use xprobe2 to verify (although I don't know if that's still
maintained).

Ron

--
Ron Bowes