Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: [NSE] Local IP geolocation script

From: Kris Katterjohn <katterjohn () gmail com>
Date: Mon, 17 Nov 2008 17:11:24 -0600

On 11/17/2008 03:48 PM, jah wrote:
On 16/11/2008 19:10, Philipp Emanuel Weidmann wrote:
Interesting ports on fx-in-f99.google.com (74.125.39.99):
PORT  STATE    SERVICE
5/tcp filtered unknown

Host script results:
|_ IP geolocation: United States (US)

Hope you find it as useful as I do. Have a great day.

Philipp Emanuel Weidmann
Hi Philipp

This is a nice script and probably caters well for the seriously
paranoid!

Indeed, I think this script is quite cool.

I think it should also be in the "safe" category, but not so
sure about being in the default one given that it requires a file which
is unlikely (?) to be shipped with Nmap and thus not present in many
installations.

I agree here to add it to Safe (as you have done) and remove it from Default.

Having said that, it occurred to me that nmap.fetchfile() could be
called from the scripts hostrule to check whether the file is present
and to store a value in the registry so that this check would not need
to be repeated for any further targets in that hostgroup.

While we're on the topic of grabbing the file, don't forget we can have a
scripts/data directory just like the nselib/data we currently use instead of
cluttering up the base directory.

For now maybe it's best to add an empty scripts/data directory for things like
this until we have a script which ships with its own data (and thus create
this directory for it).

Regards,

jah

Thanks,