Nmap Development mailing list archives

Remove script ids, just use file names?

From: David Fifield <david () bamsoftware com>
Date: Mon, 3 Nov 2008 22:43:35 -0700

Hi everyone,

Fyodor had the idea of getting rid of script ids and just identifying
them by their file name instead. A script id is what is stored in the id
field in a script. It's also what gets prefixed to each chunk of NSE
output.

Script ids offer a human-readable identifier for the script, which is
nice. However user interaction with scripts is done using file
names--when you want to run a certain script you give its file name on
the command line. Knowing its id doesn't help, which can be frustrating
when you want to re-run a single script whose output you see among that
of other scripts.

The effect of this would be to change

21/tcp  open   ftp
|_ Anonymous FTP: FTP: Anonymous login allowed
80/tcp  open   http
|_ HTML title: Foo.
110/tcp open   pop3
|_ POP3 Capabilites:  USER CAPA RESP-CODES UIDL PIPELINING STLS TOP SASL(PLAIN)

21/tcp  open   ftp
|_ anonFTP: FTP: Anonymous login allowed
80/tcp  open   http
|_ showHTMLTitle: Foo.
110/tcp open   pop3
|_ popcapa:  USER CAPA RESP-CODES UIDL PIPELINING STLS TOP SASL(PLAIN)

Do you see any downsides? If not I'll start working on this tomorrow.

David Fifield