Nmap Development mailing list archives

New NSEDoc markup options

From: David Fifield <david () bamsoftware com>
Date: Wed, 22 Oct 2008 20:21:47 -0600

Hi,

There are now new ways to mark up text in your NSE documenation. I'll
discuss them here. See http://nmap.org/nsedoc/files/scripts/ASN.html,
which I have converted to use the new markup, for examples.

Text that should be monospaced can be enclosed in <code></code> tags.
This is mainly used for variable names and code examples. You can use it
any time you want a monospaced presentation. See for example
http://nmap.org/nsedoc/files/scripts/ASN.html#get_assignment .

Bulleted lists are formed using the same syntax many of the scripts
already used:
--- Comment.
-- * Item 1
-- * Item 2
-- * Item 3
See http://nmap.org/nsedoc/files/scripts/ASN.html#cymru for an example.

You don't have to use \n\n to make paragraph breaks any more. Paragraph
breaks are now marked just by leaving a blank line in the comment. Code
sections should be put in <code></code> tags, which handle line breaks
automatically. Lists are better done with the "* " syntax. There should
be few cases where \n is necessary now.

I would appreciate it, those of you with scripts or modules, if you
would update your documentation and send in a patch (or just commit it
directly if you can). For many scripts it will be as simple as removing
\n and using <code></code> here and there. If you can't get to it, don't
worry. I'll be proofreading and updating the files myself tomorrow.

The markup is deliberately simple. I didn't want to invent a new wiki
syntax. There's no support for nested tags (there's only one tag
anyway), though <code></code> does work inside of lists. I hope there
are not too many more features that are needed, but I welcome
suggestions.

David Fifield