Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: nmap crashed

From: David Fifield <david () bamsoftware com>
Date: Mon, 20 Oct 2008 11:03:56 -0600

On Thu, Oct 16, 2008 at 08:36:30PM +0000, Brandon Enright wrote:
It's very strange, when i do -d3 it starts scanning, and things look
normal.  When I do it without -d, it immediately crashes.
It also only seems to crash when I am connected via PPTP.  if I run
with -d(n) it completes but does not find the hosts on the other side
of the tunnel,
instead it says only:

Got ICMP response to a packet which was not TCP, UDP, or ICMP

Got ICMP response to a packet which was not TCP, UDP, or ICMP

Got ICMP response to a packet which was not TCP, UDP, or ICMP

Got ICMP response to a packet which was not TCP, UDP, or ICMP

This sounds like the same bug I reported in
http://seclists.org/nmap-dev/2008/q4/0130.html

I wasn't testing with PPTP links but the rest of the behavior sounds
the same.  I haven't had time to invest in tracking down which SVN
commit caused the problem.  The issue shows up in 4.76 and the latest
SVN but I haven't tested 4.75 or 4.68.  If you're willing to run 4.75
or 4.68 and report your results back it will probably help once I (or
someone else) sits down and tries to track the problem down.

Thanks both of you for your help in finding this. I believe I have fixed
it in 10710. If I'm right, I introduced the problem in r9244. A test
condition (the one around the printing of "Got ICMP response to a packet
which was not TCP, UDP, or ICMP") wrongly had && o.debugging in the
condition itself, rather than in the block of code subordinate to the
condition. Let me know if it works.

David Fifield