Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: [RFC] Now Redoing Ncat's Output Options

From: Dirk Loss <lists () dirk-loss de>
Date: Sat, 11 Oct 2008 09:24:46 +0200

doug () hcsw org wrote:
> On Sat, Oct 11, 2008 at 12:22:22AM -0500 or thereabouts, Kris Katterjohn wrote:
But this email isn't about removing these options, just renaming them.  Unless
there are any compelling reasons to remove them, in which case feel free to
mention them.

cat -v [1].

I vote remove 'em. Unix already has a way to print hex output:

That's a good point. Maybe we should not focus on output _formats_, but more on output _contents_, i.e. include some of Ncats internal information that would be lost in a plain binary ouput. Such as direction of the communication (who said what), timestamps, or other meta information. Just as the metadata in Nmap's XML.

Another aspect: As Ncat is supposed to work on Windows boxes as well, where some typical Unix text-utils aren't available, it might make sense to include at least some common formatting options in Ncat.

Regards
Dirk