Nmap Development mailing list archives

[RFC] Redoing Ncat's Proxy Options

From: Kris Katterjohn <katterjohn () gmail com>
Date: Thu, 09 Oct 2008 21:36:58 -0500

Hey everyone,

Ncat currently has --socks4-proxy and --http-proxy for connecting through a
proxy, and --http-server to act like a proxy.  In the future there will
probably be a working SOCKS server option, with both SOCKS proxy options
supporting SOCKS5.

Having:

 --http-proxy
 --http-server
 --socks4-proxy
 --socks4-server
 --socks5-proxy
 --socks5-server

seems lame to me.  Of course, the different versioned SOCKS options could be
combined with a "4" or "5" flag or some such, but still: having these all
separate isn't strictly necessary.

Before the release of Ncat with Nmap (where option names really start to
solidify), what do you guys think of moving in a direction like OpenBSD Netcat
with their -x and -X options, with -x specifying the address/port and -X
specifying the protocol like "4" for SOCKS4, etc?  I'm not formally suggesting
we use "-x" and "-X", just having more generic options for these.

Also note another thing about using these is that the same option (be it -X or
whatever) can be used for the proxy servers as well.  So instead of having
both --http-server and --http-proxy, we can just use "-X http" (or "connect"
like OpenBSD Netcat) in both cases.

So:

* Is moving in this direction a good idea?  I'm very much for it.

* If so, what option names should be used?  I'm OK with -x and -X, but what do
you guys like?

* Should the -X equivalent option default to anything?  OpenBSD Netcat
defaults to SOCKS5.

* Instead of -X taking "4" (SOCKS4), "5" (SOCKS5) and "connect" (HTTP CONNECT)
like OpenBSD Netcat does, I think just using "socks4", "socks5" and "http" is
better.  However, I'm not super-set either way.  Opinions?

* What about the proxy authentication option (currently --proxy-auth)?  I
would like this to be similar to the names of the other proxy options, but
using -x and -X would throw that out the window (OpenBSD Netcat uses -P).  One
possibility is to just drop this option and allowing for "user@socksproxy" and
"user:pass@httpproxy" syntax in the -x equivalent option, but I'm not 100%
behind that one.

Aside from using just -x, -X and --proxy-auth, here is the first set of
options that came to my mind:

 --proxy addr[:port]
 --proxy-type {socks4|socks5|http}
 --proxy-auth {user|user:pass}

With or without -x/-X being synonymous with --proxy and --proxy-type.  The
current proxy options are all long-names, so keeping it that way won't hurt
anything... but having short options is nice at times.

Thanks!,
Kris Katterjohn