Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: zenmap crashing and leaking memory

From: David Fifield <david () bamsoftware com>
Date: Mon, 22 Sep 2008 12:55:21 -0600

On Sat, Sep 20, 2008 at 04:37:41AM +0000, Brandon Enright wrote:
On Fri, 19 Sep 2008 22:55:48 -0400 or thereabouts "Jason Mantor"
<jmantor () gmail com> wrote:
     I've been having some problem with zenmap on Windows XP.  I'm
trying to scan a large but sparse LAN.  There are about 1000 machines
spread across network with an 18 bit mask. I've not been able to
complete a scan since zenmap was released.  All of the releases
including the latest (4.76) crash on me before the scan completes.
The zenmap windows goes blank (solid white) and when I look in task
manager the memory it is using just keeps increasing and it consumes a
constant 50 % of the CPU.  I'm using XP Professional with SP3.

Hi Jason.  I've tried importing a large scan (via XML) into Zenmap and
it too hangs, consumes all the memory and then gets killed by the OOM
killer.  I don't think it is a memory leak, just what you get when you
try to keep 2^14 objects in memory in a language like Python (or Perl
or Ruby or Java...).

That's too bad. Part of our vision for Zenmap this summer was to make it
a tool that is as trusted as Nmap. If it can't handle showing a few
thousand hosts, clearly it's not there. Zenmap has a harder job than
Nmap here, because it has to show the results of a scan all at once,
where Nmap can forget about hosts after it's done scanning them. To get
Zenmap where it should be I guess will take something sophisticated,
like keeping scan files on disk and loading information from them on
demand.

David Fifield