Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: [RFC] NSE Re-categorization

From: "DePriest, Jason R." <jrdepriest () gmail com>
Date: Wed, 2 Jul 2008 21:41:09 +0100

On Sun, Jun 29, 2008 at 4:44 AM, Fyodor <> wrote:
On Wed, Jun 18, 2008 at 11:03:30PM +0100, DePriest, Jason R. wrote:
They should be either "discovery" and relatively benign or "intrusive"
and used with intent.

Explain the logic between having a script in both categories.  Maybe I
just don't "get it."

Well, there are currently three scripts in both "discovery" and
"intrusive" categories:

HTTP_open_proxy.nse:categories = {"default", "discovery", "intrusive"}
MSSQLm.nse:categories = {"default", "discovery", "intrusive"}
zoneTrans.nse:categories = {'default', 'intrusive', 'discovery'}

What do you think would be a better way to categorize them?

Cheers,
-F

MSSQLm.nse actually tries to login to the SQL server using 'sa' and a
blank password.  That *part* of the script is intrusive.  The rest of
it is discovery and is very useful for version detection.  Break it in
to two scripts maybe?

HTTP_open_proxy.nse could probably be just discovery.  It sends a
single request that is a normal looking, non-malformed request.

I don't know enough about DNS to read through zoneTrans.  Since zone
transfers are a popular recon technique, if that is actually what the
script does, perform a full zone transfer, it is definitely intrusive.
 It it just determines whether or not a zone transfer is possible but
doesn't actually do it, it would be discovery.

These are just my opinions and I'd be eager to hear what others think.

-Jason