Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: Fwd: Nmap Book - Comments

From: Kris Katterjohn <katterjohn () gmail com>
Date: Sun, 13 Jul 2008 14:08:18 -0500

Tom Sellers wrote:
Chapter 13. Nmap Output Formats

Output formats supported by Nmap
http://nmap.org/book/output-formats-commandline-flags.html

In 4.51 beta Kris added support for adding symbolic placeholders
in names so that dates and times could be dynamically added to
output file names.

Here is the change log entry:

4.51BETA [2007-12-21]

o Nmap's output options (-oA, -oX, etc.) now support strftime()-like
   conversions in the filename.  %H, %M, %S, %m, %d, %y, and %Y are
   all the same as in strftime().  %T is the same as %H%M%S, %R is the
   same as %H%M, and %D is the same as %m%d%y.  A % followed by any
   other character just yields that character (%% yields a %).  This
   means that "-oX 'scan-%T-%D.xml'" uses an XML file in the form of
   "scan-144840-121307.xml". [Kris

This change is not included in Nmap's usage output or in any of the
reference documentation that I am aware of.  If this is intended to
be a supported feature, would your book be a good time to include
documentation?  If so, the man section of the book would probably need
to include this information as well.

This information is included in the man page/reference guide[1]:

"All of these arguments support strftime()-like conversions in the filename.
%H, %M, %S, %m, %d, %y, and %Y are all exactly the same as in strftime(). %T
is the same as %H%M%S, %R is the same as %H%M, and %D is the same as %m%d%y. A
% followed by any other character just yields that character (%% gives you a
percent symbol). So -oX 'scan-%T-%D.xml' will use an XML file in the form of
scan-144840-121307.xml."

I don't recall doing any book work when I made this addition, so I guess it
just fell through the cracks.

Thanks,

Tom

Thanks,