Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: Nessus's Nmap competitor

From: doug () hcsw org
Date: Wed, 3 Sep 2008 13:21:28 -0700

On Tue, Sep 02, 2008 at 11:18:23PM -0300 or thereabouts, Arturo 'Buanzo' Busleiman wrote:
DePriest, Jason R. wrote:
How useful is port grouping based fingerprinting for something other
than Windows?

I wished I had saved logs for this, but I had a situation with two linux servers, different kernel
versions/distros. The NAT was a linux machine with services, and other ports were forwaded to
another machine. Port grouping helped narrow down the possibilities to almost exact matchings.

This is a very interesting use of QSCAN, thanks for bringing it up.
You will probably get confusing results at best if you run OS
detection against a host with ports being forwarded to multiple
different machines. I wonder if it would be possible to embed
median round-trip time in the OS fingerprint so that at least
we could try to avoid polluting the DB in such cases. Or maybe
this isn't that big an issue--I have never integrated OS FPs
so I dunno for sure.

Best,

Doug