Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: your mail

From: Fyodor <fyodor () insecure org>
Date: Tue, 2 Sep 2008 18:07:21 -0700

On Tue, Sep 02, 2008 at 10:23:04PM +0200, SÅ‚awomir Krawczyk wrote:

In file nmap-mac-prefixes (even latest version) OUI 00005E is assigned
to "USC Information Sciences Inst" while in fact it is assigned to IANA
for use in IETF standard track protocols
(http://www.iana.org/assignments/ethernet-numbers).

Nmap gets its information from
http://standards.ieee.org/regauth/oui/oui.txt , which lists the owners
as IANA at USC ISI:

00-00-5E   (hex)                USC INFORMATION SCIENCES INST
00005E     (base 16)            USC INFORMATION SCIENCES INST
                                INTERNET ASS'NED NOS.AUTHORITY
                                4676 ADMIRALTY WAY
                                MARINA DEL REY CA 90292-6695
                                UNITED STATES

In this moment MACs
00005E0001xx are assigned for VRRP. This could be really nice feature if
nmap will recognize this. Can it be added to NMAP TODO list ?

I'm pretty sure that our implementation can only handle 3-byte
prefixes.  But we could assign all of 0x00005E to VRRP.  How common is
it?  Are those addresses used for anything else?

Cheers,
-F