Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: Problem running Nmap

From: Ron <ron () skullsecurity net>
Date: Mon, 07 Jul 2008 08:49:23 -0500

Root should definitely have permission to move that file, maybe there
are restrictions on Ubuntu? I'm not familiar with it, maybe somebody
else could shed some light.

If you're having trouble scanning outside your network, it may be due to
something blocking you. Try doing a TCP Connect scan (-sT) on
scanme.insecure.org (64.13.134.52) on a limited number of ports:

nmap -sT -p1-50 -PN 64.13.134.52

If that doesn't work, then there's something stranger going on. Paste
the full output here and give this a try:

nmap -sT -p22 -PN --packet-trace 64.13.134.52

That should print a whole lot of stuff, just paste it into an email.

Also, maybe this is a dumb question, but are you able to actually get to
the Internet normally? Like, can you go to http://www.google.ca ?

Ron

Neminath wrote:
Thanks Ron,

Yes i checked my ubuntu box /etc folder there is no resolv.conf file in it.
But the file is located at /usr/share/ubuntu-docs/ubuntu/sample/  folder.  I
tried coping  the file to /etc folder but its not allowing to do so saying
permission denied even in case i use sudo .
I tried creating another one with command given by u thats also resulted
same.

The second option of providing dns server names with command seems working
only if the machine is on the same hub.