Nmap Development mailing list archives

RE: Uptime estimates and TCP timestamp offsets

From: "Dario Ciccarone (dciccaro)" <dciccaro () cisco com>
Date: Mon, 18 Aug 2008 21:44:33 -0400

Fyodor asked me to look into why Nmap's estimate of uptime is
way off on
some operating systems. For instance he told me that
scanme.nmap.org has
been up for 147 days but Nmap reports its uptime as 47 days.
Apart from
being inaccurate the uptime otherwise increases normally, i.e., it
increases by one day each day. This has been observed on Linux and Mac
OS X.

That's funny - this interested me, so I scanned it too - and I'm getting
6.613 days as uptime. How did you test? What was your host OS? Was your
host directly connected to the Internet or going thru a NAT/PAT device?

Thanks,
Dario