Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: Service name capitalization in Nmap?

From: Max <nmap () webwizarddesign com>
Date: Mon, 18 Aug 2008 06:12:42 -0400

On Mon, Aug 18, 2008 at 1:28 AM, Fyodor <fyodor () insecure org> wrote:
OK, OK, maybe we should leave the Nmap output alone.  My next idea is
to keep Nmap output as it is, but use the "proper" capitalization in
the documentation paragraphs.  So it might look like:

Example 1.2. Scanning scanme.nmap.org
PORT    STATE  SERVICE VERSION
22/tcp  open   ssh     OpenSSH 4.3 (protocol 2.0)
25/tcp  closed smtp
53/tcp  open   domain  ISC BIND 9.3.4
70/tcp  closed gopher
80/tcp  open   http    Apache httpd 2.2.2 ((Fedora))
113/tcp closed auth

As shown in Example 1.2, the server has the SSH, domain, and HTTP ports open.

I like this approach; in the vast majority of books I have read
publishers capitalize protocols regardless of whether the protocol is
referred to for discussing the port or the implementation, while in
code examples I agree with the rest of the people responding that
having services output in lowercase makes for easier reading.