Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: (no subject)

From: "Michael Pattrick" <mpattrick () rhinovirus org>
Date: Sun, 20 Jul 2008 15:34:02 -0400

On Sat, Jul 19, 2008 at 11:15 AM,  <pgrovesuk32 () aol com> wrote:
Dear Team, Can you help me to rectify the following message I get every  time
I try to scan.
The error message is: dnet: failed to open device eth9 QUITTING!
I am using version nmap-4.68 running on windows Vista
I have googled the error and browsed seclists.org to no avail

Sincerely Paul

Hey Paul,

Here are a few things you could try.
Open an elevated command prompt by right-clicking on the command prompt
link and using "run as administrator" and run:
net start npf
And then try Nmap.

If that doesn't work, you could try reinstalling winpcap from here:
http://www.winpcap.org/

If that doesn't work, could you tell us what the output of the
following command is:
nmap --iflist

That would help me diagnose the problem further.

Cheers,
Michael