Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: Using Samba code?

From: Fyodor <fyodor () insecure org>
Date: Sat, 27 Sep 2008 22:09:56 -0700

On Sat, Sep 27, 2008 at 09:54:38PM -0700, Aaron Leininger wrote:
Call me confused but I thought the point of making something(in this
case, SMB) open source was so that you didn't have these kinds of
issues. I thought it was normal for developers to use GPL'd software
freely as long as attribution to the author(s) remains...what am I
missing here?

The issue is that there are many open source licenses and they aren't
always compatible.  Even with GPL, there is GPLv2-only,
GPLv2-or-later, and GPLv3-only, which can't always be mixed freely.
Oh, and don't forget the LGPL licenses.  And then there is Nmap, which
is GPLv2 with some extra terms such as allowing linking to OpenSSL.
Here is a list of well over 50 open source certified licenses:
http://opensource.org/licenses/alphabetical

So yeah, integrating code from other projects definitely requires
care.  The good news is that many of the licenses are compatible, and
that is how we are able to use libdnet, libpcre, libpcap, winpcap,
lua, OpenSSL, etc.

Cheers,
-F