Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: Ndiff ready to be tested

From: Fyodor <fyodor () insecure org>
Date: Fri, 27 Jun 2008 21:03:26 -0700

On Thu, Jun 26, 2008 at 11:44:47PM -0400, Michael Pattrick wrote:
Hey everyone,

This week I have been coding Ndiff, a utility to compare nmap xml
files and produce a XML or YAML formatted difference file. and as of
now, Ndiff is at a state of reasonable usability! So I would
appreciate it if you would try it out and tell me what you though. I'm
considering ways to remove the nmap::parser dependency but any other
feedback you could provide would be much appreciated.

Hi Michael.  That's great news!  I only had a little while to look at
it today (very busy), but did have some comments:

o Its great that you were able to reduce it to just 300 lines!  It is
  nice to see programs coded in a tight, efficient (yet still easy to
  read) package.

o I agree that it would be great to remove the Nmap::Parser
  dependency.  I'd guess that the vast majority of people don't have
  that installed.  Does anyone here have ideas?  If it must be
  required, maybe it can be included in some fashion.

o There is a blank space before every line, including the first
  (interpreter specifier) line.  The first 2 lines look like:

 #!/usr/bin/perl -w
 use Nmap::Parser;

My shell (probably any shell) doesn't allow that, so I have to do
"perl ndiff.pl" rather than just running ndiff.pl.  Removing those
excess spaces should do the trick.

o I'm glad you included sample xml output in the ndiff-refrence
  directory (trivial nit: it should be spelled nmap-reference), but
  can you add a yaml output example too?  It would be best if the yaml
  and xml output are comparing the same two files.

o Its great that you created a DTD too.

I hope this helps!

Cheers,
Fyodor