Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: [Patch] Eliminate compiler warnings

From: Fyodor <fyodor () insecure org>
Date: Tue, 8 Apr 2008 19:35:43 -0700

On Wed, Apr 09, 2008 at 02:59:45AM +0100, Andrew J. Bennieston wrote:

6. A lot of people don't care about compiler warnings. If nmap follows
this tradition, feel free to ignore my patch; at the very least I've
familiarised myself with a lot of nmap code in a very short length of
time, and it staved off the boredom for a while. On the other hand, I
happen to think that warnings are almost as bad as errors, and should be
treated as such!

Hi Andrew.  I agree that we should remove compiler warnings wherever
possible.  My Linux boxes don't experience the warnings you seem to
get, which is why they weren't dealt with before.  Your patch looks
good and seems to work fine on my Linux and Windows XP boxes, so I've
applied it.  Thanks for the patch.

As for your other patch, I think the complexity of dynamic memory
allocation is overkill for a 128-byte stack variable.  Though maybe
there are other places where Nmap can benefit from better memory usage
optimization.

Cheers,
-F