Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: [RFC] Username/Password NSE library

From: "Andrew J. Bennieston" <harriergr7 () gmail com>
Date: Wed, 18 Jun 2008 15:34:09 +0100

The following are some thoughts on the statistics of password guessing.
I haven't researched this in any detail whatsoever, but I'm a physicist
during the day, and one of my interests lie in statistical modelling.

Following on from the comment that a list of the 1000 most common
passwords performs barely any better than one of the 500 most common, I
was immediately reminded of the Central Limit Theorem. This arises from
anything which has a Gaussian (or near-Gaussian) distribution, and
states two things which are of potential interest here.

The first is obvious: The most efficient is to get the password right on
the first guess; this provides the "zero centred" peak for our Gaussian
distribution of efficiency vs. list size.

The second is the statement that the width of the distribution scales as
the inverse square root of N, the number of items in the list.
Interpreting this for password lists, we can say that as the length N of
a list increases, the increase in effectiveness we get by virtue of it
including more passwords, and thus being more likely to guess the
correct one, should scale as a maximum by the square root of N (i.e. the
reciprocal of the "distribution width").

For example, if we normalise our measure of effectiveness so that the
constant of proportionality is 1, then the effectiveness of a list of
500 passwords is given the (dimensionless) value Sqrt[500] = 22.4

The effectiveness of 1000 passwords, a list twice as long, is Sqrt[1000]
= 31.6

This clearly demonstrates that, in this model, the effectiveness is not
doubled by doubling the list length. If, as was hinted in earlier posts,
the fall-off of effectiveness is much steeper than this, i.e. 1000
passwords are barely any more effective than 500, then this could be
accommodated using a prefactor proportional to N to some power.

Of course, most people on this list aren't interested in the slightest
in the statistical models of such things, but in how to choose the
optimal list length. Based on the model postulated above, we can say
that the expected difference in effectiveness E between two lists of
length N1 and N2, given by E2 = 2*E1, and the true effectiveness, given
by E2' = Sqrt[N2] can be written:

delta E(N1, N2) = 2*Sqrt[N1] - Sqrt[N2]       where N2 = 2 * N1
=> dE(N1) = 2*Sqrt[N1] - Sqrt[2*N1]

Setting an arbitrary threshold dE <= 10, we can find the value of N1
above which the discrepancy between expected effectiveness since we've
doubled the list size, and true effectiveness from the Central Limit
Theorem exceeds 10, we get:

dE(N1) = 2Sqrt[N1] - Sqrt[2N1] <= 10
Sqrt[N1](2 - Sqrt[2]) <= 10
Sqrt[N1] <= 10/(2 - Sqrt[2])
N1 <= 291.4

In other words, a password list of size ~ 250 to 300 keeps the
discrepancy between true effectiveness of the list size, and perceived
effectiveness due to the presence of more words below the value of 10
(which I chose arbitrarily, but it seems to have provided a reasonable
value for N!)

Anyway, I hope some of that helped to get you guys thinking about the
effect of list size on brute-force password guessing; there is
definitely a diminishing return, and while the distribution may not be
exactly Gaussian, most independent random variables fit some kind of
Gaussian, and thus obey the central limit theorem.

Andrew J. Bennieston

Kris Katterjohn wrote:

Brandon Enright wrote:
On Tue, 17 Jun 2008 15:46:09 -0500